- Families in Dallas, Fort Worth, Addison, and across North Texas turn to the award-winning lawyers of Williamson Law Firm, PLLC for the protection of their children’s rights, for legal help in disputes with school districts, and for other education-related legal matters.
- The many positive reviews our attorneys receive are among the best in Texas. We work hard for every legal award we earn.
- With decades of experience, we are recognized by our colleagues and by our clients as one of the best law firms in Texas.
- A top lawyer with education law experience offers your family aggressive representation, honest legal advice, and will fight for the best possible resolution of your legal issue.
MORE THAN 25 YEARS ADVOCATING FOR TEXAS FAMILIES DEALING WITH SCHOOL ISSUES AND CONFLICTS
Across the state of Texas, school districts are continually in conflict with parents and students. In the last several years alone, conflicts over dress codes and free speech have seemed to emerge almost daily. The outrageous behavior of a few teachers also gets media attention, whether it’s their words in the classroom or their behavior away from the school. The struggles of special education students and their families get less media attention, but these students have just as much right to a quality public school education as any other students in the state of Texas.
Many parents may not be fully aware of their children’s educational rights, and they may not know where to turn when a potentially serious legal issue arises. At Williamson Law Firm, PLLC, our experienced Dallas education law attorneys work hard to keep up with the latest legal developments and to provide families with accurate legal advice and trustworthy guidance. We have extensive experience crafting innovative mediation, negotiation, and litigation strategies to help families resolve disputes with school districts while always making your children’s best interests the highest priority.
WHAT KINDS OF EDUCATION LAW MATTERS DOES YOUR DALLAS LAW FIRM HANDLE?
When an incident happens at your child’s school, it may be difficult to obtain clear answers – or any communication at all – from the school’s administrators or the school district. That makes it imperative for parents to have someone they can rely on, an advocate who represents the interests of your family and ensures that your child’s rights are protected. Williamson Law Firm, PLLC helps families dealing with educational and school-related issues including but not limited to:
- Disciplinary issues: If your child is accused and/or punished at school for disciplinary reasons, it is imperative to gather all of the facts to ensure that your child is being treated fairly. Long-term suspensions and disciplinary actions can negatively impact your child’s school record and his or her long-term educational opportunities.
- Special education and needs: Students with disabilities and special needs are entitled to additional protections and accommodations which a school must provide. Our attorneys frequently handle cases involving the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, and the Rehabilitation Act.
- Discrimination and harassment: School employees are prohibited from discriminating against students on the basis of race, religion, sex, age, disability, ethnicity, and family status. If you feel your child is being harassed or discriminated against, we are ready to investigate your concerns thoroughly and to seek justice for you and your child.
- Students’ rights: The First Amendment protects fundamental rights for everyone in the United States, including students. For example, it is illegal for a school or any educational entity to infringe on your child’s right to freedom of speech and expression.
A conflict with your child’s school can be quite stressful and challenging, but an experienced Dallas education law attorney at Williamson Law Firm, PLLC will represent your family, preserve your child’s due process rights, and work hard for a mediated or negotiated settlement of any legal dispute. However, when a dispute with a school district cannot be settled out of court, our team will fight aggressively on your family’s behalf in the courtroom.
CAN YOU SUE A SCHOOL DISTRICT IN TEXAS FOR DISCRIMINATION OR PERSONAL INJURY?
In most cases, because a local school district is a governmental body, it is protected under “sovereign immunity” from liability in state courts. However, the Texas Legislature has created a very narrow exception for personal injury cases involving school district-owned vehicles. Most of the other litigation against school districts must be filed in federal district courts and will involve constitutional or civil rights issues.
In some cases, you may be required to handle a matter “administratively” before you can formally file a lawsuit against a Texas school district. That means notifying the school district of your intention to sue and waiting for the district’s response. Other options may include filing a grievance against an individual employee with the local school district, or filing a complaint with the Texas State Board for Educator Certification if the conduct involves any kind of ethical violation.
An experienced Dallas education law attorney at Williamson Law Firm, PLLC can review the details, provide the guidance you need, and represent you and your family through the entire legal process including a courtroom trial if necessary. However, we know how school districts function and how to navigate the system to achieve a positive result quickly and effectively – often saving families the time and expense of courtroom litigation while still achieving maximum results.
CAN YOUR LAW FIRM HELP PARENTS IN NORTH TEXAS WHO HAVE CHILDREN WITH SPECIAL NEEDS?
We also represent children and their parents in special education matters in North Texas. We strongly believe that parents should have a meaningful voice in their children’s schools and educations. We create strong working relationships with our clients so that we can effectively represent their families. No parent in North Texas ever needs to feel helpless when it comes to matters involving their children’s educations. Let our legal experience and knowledge of educational law help you to get the treatment and the education your child needs and deserves.
It doesn’t matter what the specific issue or point of dispute is. Williamson Law Firm, PLLC is dedicated to protecting your child, your child’s education, and your family’s best interests. It’s not easy to go up against a school district – or against any arm of the government – so let us advise and help. Call Williamson Law Firm, PLLC at 469-385-3305 or use the contact form here on our website to schedule a consultation.