Home » Family Law Services » Paternity

To Enforce Your Rights, Establish Paternity

When a baby is born, the state of Texas considers the birth mother the child’s legal mother. She automatically has custody rights to her baby. However, if the child is born out of wedlock, the state does not necessarily consider the male partner the legal father. To enforce his rights, the father must establish paternity.

Without establishing paternity, a mother does not have the right to seek child support and the father does not have the right to custody or visitation. At Williamson Law Firm, PLLC, we can assist you if you need to determine paternity. Then, we will uphold your rights and help you get the solutions you need, from financial support to custody and visitation.

How Do I Establish Paternity In Texas?

There are two ways to determine paternity:

  1. Voluntary paternity

If both parents agree on the child’s paternity, they can sign a document called an Acknowledgement of Paternity. You can sign this document at the hospital when the child is born, or you can sign a copy later.

  1. Involuntary paternity

If you and the child’s other parent do not agree on paternity, then one of you must file a Petition to Adjudicate Parentage. This means that the court will determine the child’s paternity. If the father does not show up to the court proceeding, then the judge may rule him the child’s legal father. In some cases, the court may order the man to take a DNA test.

Voluntary paternity is almost always faster, cheaper and less stressful than involuntary paternity. We can try to work with you and the parent’s other child to make either method as simple as possible.

Ask About Paternity: Get A Consultation

Whether you are a mother or father, you may need to establish paternity to enforce your right to child support, visitation and custody. Contact Williamson Law Firm, PLLC to get a consultation where we can discuss what is best for you and your child. Call our Addison office at 469-385-3305 or send us an email.